Tracking Baby Dore

Wednesday, September 9, 2009

Surgery

Well, my biggest fear has become a reality. Braiden will be going in for surgery to repair his umbilical hernia on October 1st. I met with the pediatric surgeon on Tuesday and as soon as he examined Braiden and spoke with me, he decided it is necessary to operate as soon as possible, rather than waiting for the hernia to become strangulated and require emergency surgery. The surgeon, Dr. Robie seems like a very nice guy who has Braiden's best interest at heart. He performs surgeries like this on a daily basis. While Braiden is extremely young to be having surgery, Dr. Robie seems confident that the procedure will be quick and pretty easy. The surgery itself should take about 30 minutes. With preparation, surgery, and recovery, they expect it to take about 2 hours total. Braiden will be under general anesthesia, which is the part that upsets me more than the actual surgery. Most children that have this surgery go home the same day. However, since Braiden was 7 weeks premature and is still so young, he will need to stay over night in the hospital to be monitored.
My little guy is just so tiny. Everyone keeps reminding me what a tough little guy he is, and while I know he is tough, he is still my baby and as a mom now, I understand what a hard job the title holds. My heart hurts just thinking about him having to go through all of this.
More than ever, we just ask that everyone keep Braiden in their prayers.
I will post updates with any new news.

3 comments:

  1. Oh Liz, I am so sorry you guys have to go through this. Stuff like that is the hardest thing about being a parent-watching your little one be sick and just all the worry! Braiden is in our prayers of course and I know he will do great. Hang in there!

    ReplyDelete
  2. You are so right about being a Mom and how hard it is to hear doctors say things to you now...I will keep you guys in our prayers!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Little Braiden is in my prayers. Miss you guys!

    ReplyDelete