Tracking Baby Dore

Sunday, December 18, 2011

Hospital Stay and Strict Bed Rest

All of the posts below this are very short and mainly just include photos. The reason being, I am currently on strict bed rest and realized I had not updated this blog since the first week in November. So, sorry for the lack of postings, but I will explain here...

As you read the post before this, you will see that December has started off as a difficult month and isn't geting much better.

This past Thursday I was experiencing lower back pain, so I called my doctors office. Since I'm high risk, they get me in with any little complaint. So, in to the office I go. The doctor suspected a kidney infection, but when I arrived at the office and was examined it was clearly not a kidney infection causing my back pain, it was the start of contractions and the fact that I was 1 cm dilated. My doctor wasted no time and sent me straight to labor and delivery to be monitored. While over there, I continued dilating and the contractions became more frequent, occurring every 4-5 minutes. I received two shots of Terbutaline, an injection used to slow down contractions. When this medication wasn't doing it's job, the doctor decided it was time for me to be admitted. Soon after being admitted, I was started on Magnesium Sulfate, another drug used to stop contractions and was given my first steroid shot to develop Gavin's lungs. By Friday morning my contractions had slowed down and by the afternoon I was taken off of Magnesium sulfate and put on Procardia, another medication used to stop contractions. Friday went well and I was finally allowed out of bed to go to the bathroom on my own. My contractions had subsided, the medication and fluids were continued. That night I received the second steroid shot for Gavin's lungs. On Saturday the decision was made that I could return home on strict bed rest and would remain on the Procardia. So, I am now home and stuck in bed and on the couch for the duration of my pregnancy. I'm currently 32 weeks and our goal is to keep Gavin in as long as possible.
Please keep us in your prayers and hope that we can hold out for a few more weeks! While Gavin is trying hard to follow in his brothers footsteps, we're trying to get him a bit more chubby before making his appearance :-)





A much needed visit from my baby boy on Friday evening.

No comments:

Post a Comment